Originally Posted By: Parker243
I did this both nights that I cooked the cornbread. I have no idea why it stuck so bad the first night. I was thinking it may have just been because it was the first time.

i think so too, Parker243 ... i'm not a cast iron expert, but i've noticed sometimes when you're breaking in a new/newly seasoned skillet, stuff just sticks the first few times you use it ... i'm getting a new Lodge 12" skillet tonite that i plan to strip the factory seasoning off of it, wire cup brush it & re-season it w/Crisco ... most people/articles recommend that you cook fatty stuff (ie bacon) in your skillet the first few times before moving on ...

now that you've done a few cooks w/yours, you ought to be good to go ... my roughest skillet (in terms of cooking surface) is an old Birmingham Stove & Range 10" skillet & i'm cooking stuff in it that *should* stick but doesn't ... it's also starting to get that nice, black patina on the cooking surface & it's becoming slicker & slicker the more i cook on it (the carbon layer Irishguy spoke of is forming) ... i used it to make deer tacos last night, and voila - no stick ...

Last edited by BamaGuitarDude; 12/22/17 05:11 AM.

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.