First off I want to say Thank You for the congrats on my Missouri firearms season buck. This is going to be a long post so bare with me, I sat in my shooting house for 32 hours in 4 days 11-11/11-14 before I killed this buck. Might not have time to get it done until after Thanksgiving as I have family coming in.

The corn field I hunted this year is approximately 84 acres, after the corn was harvested it was planted in Triticale. The only timber on this farm is where a brush pile was pushed up againist a finger of woods on the bottom side in 2006 from a pond my brother inlaw had dozed in. The brushpile including timber is 30 yards wide and and comes out into the field 35 yards. Most of it is a grown up brush pile with some trees on the East side.

Pic below is when I took my shooting house and set it on top of the terrace October 21st.

Saturday 11-11-2017 first day of the firearms season. Got in my shooting house at 5:15 am and heard the first shot to my South at 6:18am. Heard around 30 shots around me from my NE to my South up to 9am. Only heard 10 shots from 9am until 5:30pm. No shots fired from the SW to N.
I seen my first deer and only deer Saturday at 4pm, it was a buck. He was 220-225 yards out and had his nose to the ground coming towards me at a good pace trailing a doe, apparently from the night before. By the time I got my rifle up he was already going behind the wood line, only got to see him for about 3 seconds. I just was not paying attention, and did not expect him to come from the direction he came. If I would have been paying attention and had about three more seconds I could have scoped him and possibly dropped him if he was mature buck. When you see a buck with the naked eye at that range, for me anyways, that his spread is wider than his ears. You know he is a possible mature buck.

Pic below is where I seen the buck coming at me and going left behind the wood line.

Here is what had me occupied at the time, taking a few pics of a opossum that was 40 yards in front of me.

To be continued if wanted or I can just post a few more pics and forget the story. Over the years I have found out people just don't like to read long hunting story's, so I quit posting them. Didn't post one for my buck last year for that reason.

It takes a long time to grow an old friend.