Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
I don't want to come off as a know-it-all. But, I initially wanted to reply the same to this post when asking for a sample of various bullets.... There is no way I could determine if the bullet should shoot in the gun at anything less than a box... maybe 2 boxes of bullets. I usually pick the 1-3 bullets I want to shoot first and commit. Usually one is a Sierra because if the gun will shoot it will shoot a Sierra 100% of the time in my opinion. I may intend on shooting an Accubond or something else in the end... but if there is a question about the capability of the gun that is how I rule that out. Sierra's are my best friend in that regard. Think ok, now the gun will shoot and likes 140's. Let's try some.... Barnes/Nosler/Hornady, whatever next. Now I'm getting down into the more expensive 50 per box bullets. But I have confirmed the rifle is capable.

A box of 50... that's one box of ammo worked up...that's 10 different loads @ 5 each... That's not even scratching the surface to me. No problem for me to go to the range with 2-4 boxes at a time loaded if I got time to stay a while and keep the barrel cool.

You've made a good point Goat. Sierra bullets aren't "sexy" because the do not have plastic tips, not bonded and the BC's are not as high as the newer long range bullets. But they will typically shoot well and can shred a deer's innards. Just avoid the shoulders at high velocities and you shouldn't have any problems.

I have a 264 Winchester magnum I bought earlier this year that is being a problem child. Tried 5 different sexy bullets and powders and the best group I've had is 1". The rest of my groups have all been 1-1/2" or larger. Finally bought the Sierra 140 game kings last week but haven't had a chance to shoot. If the gun will not shoot the sierras, I'll look into a custom barrel. Too pretty not to keep it but it's gotta shoot good to keep my interest.

BTW, I am the one who donated the bullets to jonlee for testing. He sent me pictures and gun shoots 140 grain Nosler AB's and partitions very good.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe