I've had great luck for several decades with handloaders Ballistic Tips in my .308. At 2920, you get giant holes and at least part of the bullet will pass through. It really doesn't matter, because they are always DRT or make it only a few yards.

But I would not use them in anything smaller than a .30 caliber. I've seen too many run off with no exit that others used. I hunted for years with a guy who insisted on using them in a .243 and it's a terrible bullet for that round. No telling how many deer I helped him track, and we never found a lot of them. Troy has said they gave mixed results in his .270. And I think even the .30 caliber can fail at velocities above .308/30.06 levels. My uncle lost one on a shoulder shot using a .300 Magnum. I tried to tell him the bullet wasn't designed to go that fast, but he had to find out for himself.

I didn't have a large sample size, but the 30 caliber also was very impressive in a 30/30 Ackley Improved at 2560. I think they would be a good choice in a 30/30 but you would have to handload them.

If I shoot a deer with my .308 it's gonna be a buck and I want him DRT, and I haven't found anything as likely to produce that as a BT. If I am using any other gun, I wanna drill a hole all the way through the deer and plan on probably having to track him. I am gonna try again to kill one with my Colt .45 revolver, and I'll be using a cast bullet that will hopefully pass through. Match the bullet to the gun is my philosophy. Good luck!

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.