I have shot 2 of them with SST in my 270. exit wounds on both. the first was right at 100 yards. i hit her high shoulder and right through a vertebra. decent exit wound but she fell in her tracks because that entire vertebra exploded. i mean 100% mush. exit wound must have been the base of the bullet. it wasn't huge.

2nd deer was around 65 yards. hit behind the shoulder. bullet entered between 2 ribs. exit wound busted through a rib. tall grass looked like you sprayed it with a blood fire hose. I found a piece of lung the size of a golf ball on the ground about 5 yards beyond where I had shot it. deer went about 15 yards and dropped.

exit hole was about the size of a golf ball. blood everywhere.

Bullets are funny things. 1 bullet may do great if you hit the shoulder blade, and another fail. but then the same 2 bullets with a good shot behind the shoulder may yield opposite results. thus, the variety of anecdotal stories.

different situations can call for different bullets. I use Core-Lokt in y 30-30 because I only take it into the woods where there is brush vs the open fields for my 270. need a tougher bullet for brush.

-Keith