Alright guys. I've finally had a minute to type all this out. Yesterday evening, my uncle and I went to a spot that we'd scouted last weekend. I took Spark with me just in case one of us shot one, I could give her some practice. I let her lay around in the dog box while we hunted.

I got set up around 4. This spot is a little pinch point between cutover and had a couple white oaks dropping. The wind was brutal, as this spot is right on the brow of the mtn.

I wear contacts and my eyes got extremely dry. At one point, I thought I had caught movement and was straining to look and when I blinked, my left contact came out. I guess the wind blew it off my face cause I couldn't find it.

Well, now I'm blind in one eye. I can't see at all without lens. Shortly thereafter, 3 big does come feeding in. They came in on my left side and I didn't even know they were there until they were at 10 yards. They fed under my tree for the longest and I was able to get up and get ready. I picked out what looked to be the biggest one and got to full draw. I settled the pin and whack, I couldn't tell where I hit her exactly. It sounded like it was right in the boiler, but I can't see real good. She runs off like a bat outta hell and I have no clue where she went.

It was a few minutes before dark and I went ahead and got down. I walked to the hit site and the arrow was covered in blood. I thought then I had made an excellent shot. I gather my crap and walk back to the wheeler and wait for my uncle. I told him all about it and I went and got Spark while he started looking for blood.

I get back and he can't find any blood at all. I take Spark to where the deer was standing and she's on it. I have her on a nylon leash now, about 8ft long. She's dragging me along. We get out about 40 yards from the hit and I see a speck of blood. I tell my uncle to watch for blood as he's following. We make it about 100 yards and the deer finally opened up and bled in one spot about the size of a truck hood. I looked back to tell him here's a bunch of blood, and when I say it, this deer jumps up 2 steps from me and before I could think, Sparks on her. Jerked the leash outta my hand and is gone. She bayed the deer up about 80 yards away.

I told my uncle I was just gone get Spark and we'll come back in the morning cause I'm unsure about the hit. I start making my way over and I'm trying to call her off, but she aint coming. Deer takes off like a rocket again, Spark's right on her. She runs up the mtn this time about 50 yards and bays the deer again. I'm making my way over to her and she quits barking. I can hear her panting and when I get to where I can see her, she's standing on top of the deer chewing on its butt. She was DRT.

Then its all high fives and pics. Somehow, I shot that deer in the hip. I have no idea how that happened and the only thing I can think is, being nearly blind in my left eye and I shoot both eyes open. I don't know.

I don't know if we'd of found this deer without her. I can't say. I believe I could have tracked her to her first bed but when she busted outta there, I found no more blood. It was great practice for her either way. We're both novices and we both love it.