Originally Posted By: Atoler
Find a dropping acorn tree or hunt trails leaving the pines and going into the neighbors hardwoods. In the afternoon, I'd give your fields a shot if you don't find a good acorn tree.

I agree. Id find a few acorn trees in the SMZ, but Id also concentrate on a creek crossing,..a distinguished one that the deer funnel too if possible. Id set up a little on the hills side rather then be in the bottom with the swirling winds. 30 - 45 yards off the creek shooting the trail after it comes out of the bottom a little bit.

Id set up 20 - 30 yards away in a tree where the prevailing winds will blow away from that trail and the hardwoods your watching.

I really only set up 20 - 30 yards from ACTIVE runs to be honest bow hunting.

And I prefer creek crossings or HUBS where 3 -4 trails merge,..especially if the terrain is funnelling them.

I see more bucks CROSSING SMZs then ALONG them by the way..from thicket to thicket.

I also agree that Id set up on the trails coming out of your pines to the hardwoods of your neighbors.

I hunt thickets...thats where your deer are.

Any good buck coming through will also check up just before he steps out into those open hardwoods. They like to stop and look things over before stepping into those open areas.

Id be 15 - 25 yards in that tight cover somewhere. I wouldnt worry about height so much as being hidden and perferably 20-25 yards away with a cut shooting lane to a 10-15 degree view of the trail Im hunting.

Look for the trails that have RUBS on them..not just the first big trail you see. You wont see as many deer as those big trails..but a good buck likes those sneakier trails in a little thicker area IMO.

Look for rubs on your neighbors line also. When he comes out and eats acorns, he will hook a tree or two. Hunt buck sign and trails to shoot bucks I think.

Also, like tiger1432 said, youll catch bucks moving into the thicket just after light that fed their way through your neighbors hardwoods to get there. thumbup

Id set up a couple stands for each scenario as well.

Good luck and tell us what you do, and how you do. thumbup

Last edited by outdoorobsession; 10/12/17 01:00 PM.