Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:
I caught a 4 pound head on a frog all the way in the back of some grass up against a seawall, if I would've missed that fish I would have sworn it was a big carp or something...oh my word she absolutely donkey-stomped it!!! It was the loudest toilet flush you've ever heard!

It's really, really amazing how shallow they will get and we anglers out away from the bank think, often, two things: "they wouldn't be THAT shallow" or "eh, stupid carp, let's get out of here." laugh

Back when BASS had one of their tourneys on, I think, Jordan about 10ish years ago I got my photo boat driver to put me out on a peninsula where I could walk around and shoot some of the guys. Swindle was trolling down a bank toward a gnarly line of gator/primrose that honestly looked like it maybe wasn't any deeper than 8-10 inches, if that. I asked if I was a distraction (No.) and was firing with my camera.

I was close enough to see where he was casting but not so close that anything in the water might spook. About the time his frog sailed over some grass and literally landed maybe a foot from the bank, a 5+ pounder surged at it and missed. I saw its back and it was wide, green and gorgeous.

He reeled in and got ready to make another cast.

"I don't need to ask how big that was, do I," he said.

I just said "You don't want to know."

Huge and shallow. Throw in the dirt!

Year before last, early in the year around late March, we went one afternoon to Logan Martin and caught a 6-1/2, 5-1/2, two 5-0's, and another fish in the upper 4's, all on consecutive casts. That's the biggest 5 fish limit I've ever had on a Coosa lake (we were NOT in a tournament though). Every one of those fish hit a "Spittin' Image" and they couldn't have been 10" - 12" deep. We kept remarking about "how can we not see those fish????"

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.