Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Headed to Homosassa in about 10 days, we'll fish the whole week down there for reds and specks and snook (and jacks, and ladyfish, and Spanish, and about a dozen other things it seems!)

Where we catch those reds is usually REALLY shallow water, and it's a "rocky" bottom that just about anything gets hung in instantly. So I'm limited to something there (artificial wise) that doesn't run deep. We absolutely smash them on F13 floating Rapalas. Many times you don't even get your reel engaged after the cast before they crush it!! But you can twitch, twitch that thing a few times and usually see the wake coming....they donkey-punch it!!

Once the tide bottoms out we'll move out of the mangrove creeks onto the flats and start speck fishing, and they hammer that Rapala too. I also have great success with a 3/16 jig head and any kind of "shrimp tail" plastic grub. It's pretty cool the way we do it....we'll put out the drift sock and float long distances over the grass flats, and just about any time you find a deeper depression with the kelp grass, it's on!! I love to see them come out of nowhere and boil those lures.

Sounds like fun! I'm headed to the Chandeleur Islands to do and catch a lot of the same in about 10 days myself.

Originally Posted by BPS
This is Aldeer! The place people come to vent their frustrations and completely change their stance a few minutes later... grin