Originally Posted By: Atoler
Originally Posted By: BradB
I know more is always better but realistically why does a turkey hunter need that much land. I only have 320 acres and there have been 3-4 gobblers a year taken off it for years.They may not be gobbling but there are always birds on the place.

A. Most leases, specifically timber company, half or more is useless to hunt.
B. If you hunt a lot, you will burn out that 320 in no time. I can cover that much by 9am.
C. Your chances of killing a limit, specifically a limit of birds that gobbled, is about zero on that much land.

We could take a poll, and I'd almost garuntee you that everyone on this website who killed 5 or more birds last year, had access to over 1000 acres.

All true. If you only get to hunt weekends, and are careful to not spook your turkeys, 320 acres could be enough for one man to hunt the season and have quality hunting, provided there is a good turkey population in the area. Being limited to that much timber company land would not be much fun.

But people that don't turkey hunt have trouble understanding that. I once found an add on eBay for a GA turkey hunt for $100 a day. The guy had 500 acres, but 450 was open field. The 50 acres of woods was just a narrow border around the open land. It was in a good area, so I called the guy and told him I wanted to hunt it the next Saturday and he agreed.

I asked if I would be the only one on the place that day, and he said nobody else had signed up yet, but I didn't have to worry - he assured me he would not allow more than 6 hunters on the place at once. I thought at first he was joking, but he went on to explain that he had 6 deer stands on the place and they had all been occupied at one time often, and never had problem. I tried to explain that turkey hunting wasn't like that; when a turkey gobbled all 6 hunters would surround him and it would be all sorts of dangerous.

He wouldn't budge; said I was welcome to hunt but the add would stay up. I called him back Thursday night and asked if anyone else was coming, and he said nobody so far, but he wouldn't turn anyone away. I took a chance and went. Killed a turkey a few minutes after daylight, and left several others gobbling.

I offered him $1000 for the turkey rights for the next season, and I thought he was gonna take it. He only had 2 hunters the year I went, so he only made $200. Few hunters were willing to risk such an insane hunting plan. He told me to let him think about it and to call him back the next day. He never answered the phone again, despite me leaving several messages.

Just expect that non turkey hunters are not gonna get it.

Last edited by poorcountrypreacher; 09/01/17 07:55 AM.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.