Originally Posted By: deadeye48
Back about 15 years ago I was walking back to my truck on the last day of season, it was drizzling rain and spitting ice. I see just a slight movement off the old road I was walking on and it was the biggest buck I've ever encountered. I was so amazed I wouldn't let myself even begin to count the point (there were many) so I actually took a few step to get a clear shot all the while this huge buck is looking at me. when I made the shot he gave the ole donkey kick and took off to my right and crossed the road maybe 50 yds from me. I had my scope on him the whole way until he crossed the road and I unshouldered my rifle and said he's dead. I never found him but what I did find was that my shot went through a small sapling and either went across the brisket or under his belly because I found plenty of white hair. I told my uncle about this and he asked what did I learn from this and I replied nothing really, his reply to that was "if theyre still moving you keep shooting" and I've never forgotten that. This deer is my regret but also my educator

Good lesson. We abide by that too.