Brent, unfortunately that's part of the fallacy of the old voting system still used in concert with the BCS computer rankings.

How do you determine the best one-loss team, if there are no undefeateds or only one? By points? Strength of schedule? It's a pretty tough chore, as you noted.

Here's another problem with the voting system: most of the sportswriters who vote are working on Saturdays. They see the polls, see snippets of a game and are trying to keep up with the game in front of them to write about. They may get through in mid-afternoon and then try to go home, or work late at night and get finished after a late game. Or there may be a ranked team playing late on the West Coast while they're driving or at the hotel, and they don't see the game.

They have to go by score and highlights ... neither of which may yield a positive result to the entire game. It was a 10-7 win? Damn! No offense from Powerhouse State! I may need to vote them down ... although it could have been a monstrous defensive struggle and a really good game.

Popularity, unfortunately, also plays a big role ... Coach X is a spazbutt and I don't like him, so I'll vote for Team Y because I know a guy who dates a cheerleader there and they're a good team. It shouldn't be that way and probably 99 percent of the time it's not, but it could be and probably has been a factor at some time.

Aggravating in this day and time to have so many possibilities for a playoff based on wins-losses like in the lower levels, but money and TV ratings overpower that for D-I.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020