Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
it is and thats what i had figured after i really got to looking at it

I guess everyone has their own idea of what makes a good dove shoot. I think 50 is more than enough for a field that size. Looking at the math a little different, if you had one stander in the center of every acre, you would have all the standers 70 yds apart. So if I shoot at a bird that is 40 yds away, that same bird will only be 30 yds away from the next guy. Too close for me.

I don't want another guy within 100 yds of me. That way if a bird is within range of me he is out of range of the next guy. And to me 100 yds is the very minimum; it doesn't hurt a thing if standers are 150 or 200 yds apart. I've hunted on 100 acre fields with 5 or 6 guys and had great hunts. If nobody is sky blasting at them, doves that are using the field will eventually fly by someone and give them a reasonable shot.
Thanks for setting up the hunt, Beadle. I know you are probably gonna get all sorts of "ideas" from those of us who did none of the work to set it up, and I don't mean to add to that. It's your hunt, so limit it the way you want. I just wanted to offer a different perspective from some of the others. If I can't make the first, I sure hope you hold another one I can make.
Wow, 100 acres with 6 guys seems a tad underkill. Not saying you couldn't have a good hunt but whew

Second season and most people wanna chase goats. Spread out and the birds will fly by someone, and you will get much better shots. It's much more enjoyable than having the next guy claim every bird you kill. smile

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.