Okay, several part question here, but who on here has caught a marlin, and where did you do it and how long did the quest take and what was the cost? It's on my bucket list to catch one and put it on the wall (or at least a nice fiberglass replica).

Back story - I've always thought it would be awesome to fight one and then have it on display as a reminder and conversation piece. I've made three attempts so far.
1 - As a cruise shore excursion in Jamaica in 2006. Paid $600 and didn't get a single hit all day.
2 - While on our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic. Paid $800 and wife caught a 4 lb mahi. Pretty fish, but not exactly what we were hoping for.
3 - Tried again a few days ago. We're on our 10 year anniversary here in Cabo San Lucas. Unbelievable beautiful place. Paradise. My cousin lives here with her family and she hooked us up with a great private charter. Nice boat and very friendly crew. Obviously very proficient at what they do. We didn't pay nearly as much (around $400) because she hooked us up. Anyway, a couple hours into the trip the boat broke down way out in the ocean. Motor overheated. Didn't catch fire but lots of smoke and we were dead in the water for several hours until another boat came to tow us in. And then I got seasick, bad. I've never been seasick in my life but I guess the combination of the heat and sitting there still with no breeze got me. I felt like I was gonna die. Bad bad bad.

Anyway, all that to say, I'm starting to feel like God doesn't want me to catch a marlin. Honestly I'd be just as happy with a sailfish or swordfish. This time of year is supposedly the best there is for Cabo. I'm not whining about it and I know it's called "fishing" not "catching" for a reason...Just wondering how long and expensive should this quest be??? When/if it ever does happen it'll make the success that much sweeter.

Last edited by mcninja; 07/26/17 07:53 AM.