Originally Posted By: bloodtrail
I can agree with that. MOST folks either do not know the rules of the water or refuse to follow them. Being able to travel 40-50mph allows me to run 10-15miles to a marina for drinks, snacks, or gas and not use all of my fishing time. It also allows me to fish the river section or the deep lake section of a reservoir. If the lower end is full of wake boats I'll run 15-25 north to get away. Not everyone wants to fish within 1-2mi of the ramp, that's all you can do with a 20hp motor.

Interstates and major roadways are the real dangers.

I think you can do a little better than 1-2 miles with a 20hp.I used one for a lot of years and did better than 2 miles just paddling.

I understand your point and I have no problem with anyone who knows how to drive safely. I don't care if you get up some speed on a big open area. On the other hand we have a little lake up here just a few miles long,6-8 would be my guess if you don't count the very shallow feeder creeks. it's about 50-90 yards wide most places and very curvy and winding. There's guys running their 250 hp bass boats wide open around those curves all the time,like they think it's the Indy 500. There's just no sense in it when you could get to the same place at a safe speed just 3 minuets later.