My wife's Baptist Church in Saraland AL (Shiloh) is Contemporary all the way. Praise songs (some of which the lyrics are almost comically simple sounding to me) are 95%.

They have a "Praise Team" of 3 or 4 who stand in front of the choir (and in my opinion are an insult to the other members of the choir who don't get "spotlighted"). Once a month or so they will sing a song from the hymnal.

Periodically the idea of holding up a hymnal like the actor in "Say Anything" did with his boom box outside the girls window goes through my mind. If I were there alone I might do it, as the pastor has a sense of humor and might see the funny in it.

All of these things caused me to feel like a grumpy old fart in church and have a bad attitude. Now I attend a Methodist church closer to the house.

I decided (right or wrong) that it was better for me to attend where I felt comfortable and enjoyed church rather than somewhere I fixated on things I didn't like and got distracted from the message. My wife and kids come with me 3-4 times a year to mine and I go to theirs probably 7-8.

I AM SURE this will not be the right answer to many on here. Many have spoken against a poster earlier for his disdain of others dress or lack of contribution and scolded him for his attitude. Many of you said his outlook would drive people away from the church. Your attitudes may drive him away too. What's the difference.

We were all raised a certain way. "Praise Songs" do not speak to me and neither do many aspects of Contemporary church going. I saw a kid wear a fedora hat through a service at my wife's church a couple years ago and I was nearly apoplectic. Out of respect for my wife and in-laws (her father was a deacon before he passed) I kept my mouth shut that day, but mentioned it to Pop in passing. hat was never worn again.

Yes, things change but SOME things I think are sacrosanct.