I have been charged 3 times in 11 years. Once at night tracking a wounded hog for a friend. I killed it with a pistol. Once while actively stalking them in a bunch of waist-high bamboo. A cousin and I were shooting into a herd when the lead boar broke loose and came right to us. We killed that one. The most recent was two years back, I was walking up a steep road, bow in hand, after a morning hunt when I had a smallish pig (100# or so) come straight at me down a ridge. It wheeled around about 20 feet from me and ran off as fast as it had come. That one scared the bejezzes out of me. On average though the hogs are as skittish as deer and much more noisey. Especially as a group. If you need to move about in the dark just stop every so often and listen. A group in particular will grunt and squeal fairly often and you can hear it from a good ways off. The worst part of having them around, at least where I hunt, is that the deer will avoid the area that hogs are in so if you are seeing pigs you won't be seeing deer.