Originally Posted By: centralala
Originally Posted By: jawbone
Much faster paced than baseball, and other than the same basic rules, if you think they are the same game, you'll be wrong. Different strategies, both offensively and defensively. A good softball player isn't going to be worth a crap in baseball until they got used to it and vice versa.

Very different game but for a person who knows either the transition to the other seems fairly easy. AU Myers was a very successful college baseball coach prior to softball. OM coach made the transition. The woman that has coached 1st for UA for so long was suppose to have been a very good HS baseball PLAYER before moving to softball. I think its like Yogi Berra said, its 90% mental and 50% physical.

Catching, throwing and putting the bat on the ball are all the same, but the strategies are where the differences lie both in playing and coaching. In all my years of baseball I saw one "slapper". He played for Sidney Lanier against us in high school. Every softball team has one. Softball infielders have to come up throwing on every ground ball, baseball, not always. I could go on, but you get the point.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.