Originally Posted By: blumsden
Looks good crimson. Numbers don't lie.

Thanks Blum!......Something else I found interesting is that I had actually added lime to this field two years prior to this last application but it only brought my Ca up from 300 lbs/ac to 900 lbs/ac and the pH didn’t get out of the 5’s from a low of 5.0 in the beginning. It was like it barely made a difference. I think that maybe I just hadn’t built up enough organic matter yet to hold the Ca back then….. but now I do.

You gotta get yourself out of that initial hole of having zero organic matter in the soil. That’s where all of your holding capacity comes from with a sandy plot. Without it... nutrient usage is very, very inefficient. My original OM% was less than 1%....You just need to grow biomass and not burn it up with heavy tillage. Most of these improvements was built on the backs of crabgrass and cereal rye. The field is now transitioning over to a much more balanced mix of summer broadleafs and legumes. Oh, you just don’t know how much I wish now I would have re-seeded my clovers last fall. Damn drought….

Last edited by CNC; 05/24/17 06:44 AM.

We dont rent pigs