Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
I started tracking one in 1992 and still haven't found him.

Dang, I think that was the same year I shot one I been looking for since. It was the only deer I ever lost with my 7x30 Contender and he was the biggest buck I've ever seen on my place.

He was chasing a doe the day after Thanksgiving, and stopped facing me at 50 yards. His knees buckled at the shot, but he didn't fall. He ran off hard and I expected to find him within 100 yds, but I didn't. Not surprising that there was no blood trail; the gun didn't have the power to shoot the bullet the full length of him and get an exit.

I finally found blood 1/4 mile away where he crossed the road, and did at least have sense enough to back out and leave him for 2 hours. I would have waited longer, but it was nearly 80 degrees and I thought he was dead and the meat was spoiling.

I had a good blood trail after he crossed the road, and jumped him in about 200 yds. If I'd had a brain in my head I'd have waited 8 hrs to follow again, but I didn't. Jumped him again after another 200 yds and never found another drop of blood and never saw him again. It still makes me sick to think about it. By far the worst blunder of my deer hunting career.

That sounds rough. Maybe some of us can learn from your experience.