You are very correct, David, on ALL accounts!

It is a very stupid Regulation.

As I have already stated, my Dad has lost a LOT of lambs and even a few grown ewes the past 6 months or so. And, we know that a cat(s) cached a few of them. We followed the drag marks and found them buried beneath piles of leaves and sticks. We have a relatively small flock of sheep here. He focuses far more on quality breeding stock to sell than producing meat sheep. And, his young ewes stay booked (sold) about a year in advance. Every one he loses hurts! Especially on a small farm owned by 2 retired brothers. Their quality, and numbers of quality animals produced, will rival some much larger operations. However, they (my Dad & Uncle) can not afford to lose animals to predators.
I am going to call Monday and inquire about a Permit. I am trapping exclusively on our private land. If anything, the State should be liable for the damages......not sitting on a pedestal requiring farmers and landowners who do not even hunt to beg them for a silly piece of paper.....aka Permit.

Edited to add this: these coyotes and bobcats are literally catching/killing these sheep in my back yard!!!! And, I mean dragging them through a crossing in the fence within 40uds of my house after killing them anywhere from 50-200yds, and in sight of, my house!

Last edited by Hogwild; 04/29/17 01:38 AM.