Originally Posted By: Deadwood
You have your head on straight. For emergency funds, put up 6 months of your net pay. Contribute the max allowable to your 401K, and when you turn 50 years old, be sure to invest your "catch-up" money.

Don't be scared to buy precious metals like "silver rounds" which you can buy as little as 1/10th oz at a time, and gold bars in small quantities at a time. You'll pay more than spot, but silver price is based on 5000 troy ounces at a whack. Don't worry about if it goes up and down, just buy it constantly and DON'T buy certificates. buy the real metal. To keep it simple, don't buy gold or silver coins (numismatics) very frequently because that's two different investments rolled into one and can be confusing.

In a SHTF scenario, you will want small denominations of precious metals. I've been doing it for 40 some years. A dollar bill is a piece of paper backed by nothing but confidence.

Buy real property, too, but buy to rent out. Don't go out and buy a friggin' castle to live in because you'll be sitting in all your equity that YOU had to pay for. Get a nice but modest house to live in.

You'll do fine because you think ahead, I've seen.

Others may differ with my recommendations, but I was able to retire very early and my plan worked for me. I'm no different than anybody else, I just set a course and stayed with it.

I have approximately 50ish OZ of silver, it is in the gun safe at my parents house in California. Bars/rounds, 90%, and American Silver Eagles.

I should probably bring that silver back with me next trip.