Originally Posted By: Rebelman

Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
If a company's land is growing 2 cords of wood per year, that's a stumpage value of about $20 per acre per year. It's not uncommon to get $10 per acre per year for the hunting rights of the same land, so the hunting lease is not an insignificant amount of money. Can't blame them for getting all they can, but it sure looks like they could let the man get his stands.

There isn't any commercial 'timber companies' relying on $20/acre from their timber assets. At least not in the southwest from commercial pine forest. They would all be bankrupt tomorrow if this were the case.

MacMillan Blodel set up their type A leases for 1.5 cords per acre per year for better land, and just 1 on some of the poorer sites. There was an overcut sometimes, but I never saw a dime of overcut on the first 2 thinnings before buying out the contract. Their initial 1.5 estimate was not all that far off, so I thought I was being generous by saying 2. smile

But you are right that $20 an acre is too low. It's late and I'm tired and I was thinking ton prices; sorry about that and thanks for correcting. But I think my point is still valid; the hunting leases are a significant source of income and they need to make all they can.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.