So, I don't know if many remember, but I missed/gimped 4 turkeys two years ago when my fastfire got off. One of them was a big field turkey that I found out with a bunch of hens one day. He was a big bodied swamp bird that I showed a fan and gobbled at from about 200 yards and he basically ran all the way to 20 yards and stopped to start strutting and sorta draw the line in the sand for me entering his field. I shot him in strut going left to right and he turned away (sorta quartering away if we were talking about a deer) at the last split second and with my Fastfire being low and a little left....I didnt hit his head but instead blew a bunch of feathers and meat out of his breast via what appeared to be a glancing blow that knocked him down and he got up and ran off while I missed him twice and tried to run him down to no avail.

Fast forward to this morning. I have been seeing a turkey in the exact same field with a wad of hens, then down to 4, then 2, then 1, and then this morning I caught him out there alone and gobbling after taking the kids to school. I had a fantastic hunt with him and eventually killed him after calling him up twice to the edge of the woods. When I cleaned him, the first thing I noticed is that there was a huge piece of meat missing from his right breast where you could feel his breast bone. There was a ton of scar tissue too. Further inspection found lots of embedded feathers/wounds that were healed over. Long story short, with all factors considered including seeing him strut out there two days after I shot him two years ago....I believe with all I am that it was him that I killed today.

Last edited by JUGHEAD; 04/18/17 01:54 AM.

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters