I find it a little ironic that I killed a public land bird on what is traditionally tax day. I'm not 100% certain but I think this is the same bird I've been chasing all season. I 've had him at the end of my barrell twice but couldn't seal the deal. This morning he gobbled earlier than usual, sounding off to an owl in the dark. I thought I knew where he was and hustled off into a big bottom, only to find as I drew closer that he was not on the finger ridge I thought he was on. I adjusted my approach. In the darkness I selected what I thought was a good tree dead in the bottom, and it would have been had he pitched out my direction.. I've hunted him from above and at the same level, but he loves to fly straight to the bottoms and stay low early in the mornings. This morning he gobbled way too much and way too loud on the limb. I was afraid he may attract company, but nobody came in and messed me up. Not only did he gobble early and loud, but he flew down early as well. And, of course, rather than fly to the bottom he flew out the ridge away from me, with his track shoes on. Strike one. My plan became to shadow him and catch him when he came across the bottom headed for this huge ridge the birds love to circle and feed on. Yeah, strike two. As he headed up the ridge and away from me, I fell into the seldom successful but too often practiced technique of "chase the rascal and try to get him to come look back one time."
By the way, I need some flat ground if anybody has some they want to share. I managed to climb to 100 yards or so of where he seemed to have slowed down, when he suddenly hammered and I realized he was coming back in my general direction. I hit the ground, facing up the hill, my knees in my face. I gave him three soft yelps, he cut me off and I shut up. He got close, quick. I heard him drumming, wing tips dragging just over a rise, for what seemed like forever, but was probably only five or six minutes. I reached back, scratched the leaves a bit, and here he came. Hung a curve ball on an 0-2 pitch. Homerun. Vital statistics: 15 lb. 3 oz, 10" beard, 1 1/8 and 1" spurs. Rem 870 3" #5 longbeards. Hooks Custom Calls 3 reed cutter.

What a wonderful blessing to enjoy God's great outdoors. Thank you Father. And thanks to all you taxpayers!

[url=[URL=http://s349.photobucket.com/user/theexaminer31/media/20170415_084801_zpsnquva1t5.jpg.html][/url]][/url]

[url=[URL=http://s349.photobucket.com/user/theexaminer31/media/20170415_085217_zpsn2fvlt0f.jpg.html][/url]][/url]

test