Okay here is my story ...about my bird this morning. I hunted all day yesterday from 5am till 8 pm, without even seeing a bird of any type...lol. So while I was getting through the day I checked a few cameras around lunch, one particular camera I was not gonna check because the birds in this area just don't gobble ...EVER. They are call shy to say the least. But I decided to move the camera, so when I checked it I had a gobbler 3 days in a row twice a day, he was there all of the 3 mornings between 7 and 8 am ....and he was also there every evening exactly at 5:45 pm. So I figured he must be roosting in the general area, so I left the camera with a plan to be back this morning.
Okay so forward to this morning ...I was at the spot at 4:45 am and prepped my strikers and pots before I headed in, I took my time careful not to step on any sticks or crunch any leaves I made to the field at 5: 30 stayed in the wood line as I eased to the middle of the field , then slowly walked to the middle of the field and set my hen deke, and backed back into the wood line opposite the direction that he is headed as per the evening pics. I sat there and just listened and immediately an owl hooted and 2 gobblers sounded off, and I was in between them, my heart was pumping and eased my gun up to my knee, and a hen starts clucking and yelping behind me , I was wanting to match her, but held my composure, waited a few more more minutes and everything was silent, ( now or never) so ease my slate out and cluck twice and flap my hat about 10 times and tossed my call about 15 ft away so that I couldn't get it back ( didn't want to call much to the call shy birds) I was looking at where the call landed and took my eyes off the field and decoy for maybe 15 secs and when I look back he right beside my decoy completely fanned out. I didn't give him time to put on a show, I sent the 3 1/2 inch #4 long beards his way bang flop. As I was standing on his neck maybe 35 yes another gobbler double gobbled.....learned something today, I always have heard less is more when hunting turkeys .....I only clucked twice , and had 2 gobblers coming to me. Done by 6:28am and was able to drive an hour and a half back home and be at Sunday school on time. God is good ...all the time.

Last edited by hopper35005; 04/02/17 09:44 AM.

Let them walk ...and grow them big