Quote:
My great grandmother died last year. She was 100. She remembered the first radio their family had and the first time a light bulb came on in their house. She could tell you about the Great Depression and before TVA backed up Guntersville. They used to go off sand mtn to Scottsboro on a horse and wagon. It was an all day trip. She had a sharp mind up till the last year she lived. I loved to listen to her tell stories.

My great-grandmother was born in 1892 and lived to be 94. She lived out in Danville. I asked her once what she remembered as a little girl and she said that she remembered people talking about men flying in the air but it sounded far-fetched. She was talking about the Wright brothers and the first air flight.

I wish I'd asked her more about what she remembered and tape recorded or videoed it. She saw the inventions of airplanes, expansion of electricity, radio and television, expansion of telephones, World Wars I and II, Korea, Vietnam, the Depression and everything else. Her husband died in 1959 so she was a widow for the last 24-25 years of her life. Tough as a nail and sweet as could be.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020