Personal opinion here but I think it is a combination between the way they practiced, the size and strength of players, and (IMO most importantly) the way they are taught to tackle. Also I guess the nature of football with a set number of downs and a certain yardage to obtain lends itself to unsafe tackling. Using your head as the leading object in a tackle is not safe. We were taught throughout middle school, high school, and college to use the face mask to help line up the tackle. Putting your head in front of the ball carrier is risky. I don't care how they design the helmet, that is dangerous and foolish. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Wasn't until I took the pads and helmet off and played rugby that I found out you could tackle without your head being involved. Better form being coached at the point of impact would help but when a game is centered around stopping the opponents momentum and keeping them from gaining an extra few feet, it's tough to find a good middle ground in terms of contact. Plus a high percentage of players make contact, not just in a tackle, every single snap. Not sure what a solution would be. The NCAA is taking steps to head off the legal ramifications of the head injury cases. I got a letter not too long ago informing me that I was a part of some class action suit that would allow for a couple of examinations free of charge if I felt I needed them. Not sure of exactly how that's all going but I don't think I've been impacted compared to those that played professionally. It does give me pause though. Again, not for or against football but I think there could be a little more done to help curb the head injuries.