Originally Posted By: CNC
We didn’t go on too many tracks this year that fooled us and just left us stumped…..but if you recall, we had one for bamaeyedoc’s hunting club that left us scratching our heads pretty hard. I tried to go back and find the story to repost but there’s just too much to sift through.

Well, Bamaeyedoc sent me a text yesterday saying that he had just located the deer and you’ll never believe where he found it. It was floating in a small pond……50 yards from where the hunter was sitting!! Here’s the crazy part about it. We tracked the deer, with lots of blood, for 300 ish yards…..in the complete opposite direction. shocked I drew a rough sketch of the situation in the pic below.

I show this so y’all can see what kind of crazy things these wounded deer can do. The hunter in this story was convinced that this deer was lung shot and that we just couldn’t locate it in the thick stuff where the blood trail ended and we found the beds. Knowing what we know now…..I really feel like the deer was probably clipped low in the guts and doubled back through the search area like I had originally suspected. The search area is the pink “S” lines.

What really hurts is that Otis had originally tried to loop us back in that direction but after not finding any more blood we went back to the bed area and restarted. This deer was putting out a decent amount of blood before it bedded up so me and the hunter both were expecting to find some more spots along the trail but never found anything for several hundred yards. We should have just trusted Otis even if things didn’t “add up” to us. I’ve said that a few times now. The old adage is proving true to just trust your dog. It probably wouldn’t have done us any good on this one at the time anyways though. This was only about 5 hrs after the shot and I’m betting this deer wasn’t even dead yet when we were there. I don't think he ran and got in the pond immediately. I think he probably did that later in the dying process as he started feeling hot. A very interesting track to say the least. Always check the water holes fellas.

yeah. That was the craziest thing. There was a brisk wind on Friday coming from the south and I got to smelling something close to the barn and coming from the pond and I knew it had to be a deer. I gotta tell you though, I was pretty shocked when I got to the pond and saw his rack sticking up. And I'll tell you something else, a deer laying in the water for about a month will make a buzzard gag.

To paraphrase the late, great Paul Harvey, "Now we know...the rest of the story."

Dr. B

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR