Originally Posted By: jawbone
In the LEOs defense, they get calls like this all the time that turn out to be nothing. We once had to investigate a call of a dead baby in a dumpster the day after Thanksgiving. Yep, you guessed it, it was a carcass alright, a turkey carcass. Another time we got called to a fetus in a sewer. Sure enough, open the manhole and their is a perfectly formed fetus about 6 inches long lying there. We finally determined it was a miscarriage from a teen whose family didn't know she was pregnant. Since it was a miscarriage and the fetus was not viable, the DA didn't pursue any charges. Sometimes the strange calls do lead to something.

My point is that they may be tied up on something big right now that can't be dropped over a case that, even if it is a body, probably won't develop into a major crime and it is not likely that any evidence is going to be lost this quickly anyways. If it is something, a day or to probably won't matter after this amount of time, IF it is at the expense of a serious major case. Part of good LE is prioritizing, and satisfying our curiosity, mine as much as anybody's, is not high on their priority list.

However, it is something that needs to be looked into and not just brushed off with a "don't go digging up old bones" (excuse the poor, but appropriate, pun) attitude. If you don't hear from them soon, as in a day or two, call the retired DA back and tell him to let them know you are going to call the press and let them ask why it wasn't looked into. This won't make friends, but I bet it will get action.

A good investigator is someone that is naturally curious about things. These situations are the type of thing that make me wish I was still in the game, then I turn on the news and know why I am glad I got out when I did.

I understand that LEO's are busy, but if I call them and tell them that I believe I've found a dead person buried in the woods they better have their ass there ASAP, regardless of how many turkeys they've found in the dumpster on black Friday. It may just turn out to be a mexican voodoo ritual, but we definitely need to rule out possibility numero uno asap.

If the Department isn't equipped to handle more then one case at a time, they need to hire a few more fellas.

What if it was a kid that was murdered and buried in the woods then that means there is a kid murderer running freely on the streets with access to other kids. I highly doubt that's even the case, but hell who knows. You seem like a good leo/detective, I'm sure You know what I mean.

Hopefully it's just some wierd illegal mexican voodoo ritual and all of that jazz.

The fool tells me his reasons; the wise man persuades me with my own.