Originally Posted By: ChrisAU
Got an inquiry out with a distributor on that moss green mountain ascent...I may be able to get one for about $300 more than a new Montana. At that I think its worth it, and I like the green stock.

Got a luggage scale (cool little thing on Amazon, $8) that you can hook to the sling and lift a rifle up to get an exact weight. My 338 weighs 10.38 lbs, and my 270, which I considered much lighter, came in at 9.64 lbs (it has a heavy boyd's stock on it and a heavy bushnell x50 scope). My Savage FXP64 22LR (semi auto) with Bushnell 2-7x32 came in at 7.08 lbs.

By my calculations, with the VX-6, alumina covers, talley lightweight low mounts, and a lightweight sling the Savage LWH will come out to (assuming 5 lbs 12 oz...4 oz heavier than Savage claims) 7 lbs 3 oz. The Kimber MA would come out to 6 lbs 4 oz. After confirming the weight of my 22, I really would like it to come under that, which leaves me at the Kimbers. The Montana, un-modified, would be around 6 lbs 9 oz.

Chris,if you are going to spend that much you really should look into the Barrett. It's my opinion that the Barrett would have a greater chance of shooting well right out of the box.