Originally Posted By: Stickers
have thoroughly enjoyed you chronicling your adventures this year. thanks for taking the time to share. good luck on the last track.

Thanks Stickers! thumbup thumbup

I thought this story sounded awfully familiar and with every 100 yards we tracked it became more apparent that we were just dealing with another backslap or back whack. You know I kinda like back whack a little better. It just has a better ring to it…..Back-Whack!

I talked more with "Dad" as we tracked and he said he could see blood on the deer as it spun around in a circle on the ground. He said he couldn’t believe it got up but when it did he could see blood too far forward and high on the shoulder. He also said that it looked like the deer’s front legs had gone out on him.

That loss of leg use seems to be common on a back whack. We tracked this deer and found blood out to 900 yards with him crossing creek branches and ditches so his legs were actually fine. It was just the temporary paralysis that made his legs go dead on him. Once they get their legs back under them then their good to go. This buck crossed a steep creek bank within 200 yards of where he was shot. There was a softball size spot of blood just across the creek where he got up the bank and then stood there a moment. We called it off somewhere around 1300-1500 yards.

I actually have one more track to go to but it may or may not actually be a wounded deer. A local landowner called me this morning and said his daughter had shot one yesterday evening but they couldn’t find any blood or anything. He said the deer jumped up off its feet though so he wanted my opinion as to whether or not I thought it was hit from that reaction. I told him it could be hit or it could possibly just be grazed under the belly/brisket to cause it to react by jumping off all fours like that. We’re gonna meet after lunch just to check it out.

To be continued one more time......... smile

Last edited by CNC; 02/11/17 07:54 AM.

We dont rent pigs