Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
The disc sounds like it's too big for your tractor, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work. The one thing that would make it unusable is if the lift won't pick it up, but it sounds like you have already figured out that it will, so you oughta be able to use it.

Several ideas have already been mentioned, but there are a couple other I've used in the past. One is to just gear the tractor down, slow it up, and don't let the disc all the way down. You can afford to go slower since you are making such a wide pass each trip. As long as you don't put the tractor in a strain you won't be damaging anything.

If it is a 4 gang style disc, another possibility is to just remove the 2 rear gangs. That will cut the weight almost in half and the disc will still work fine. I've used one in this manner when I had a damaged gang and the only drawback is that it takes more passes.

Planting deer plots ain't production agriculture where you need every advantage to make a profit. Unless you have more money than time, you are better off to adapt what you have than to spend a lot of money to get the ideal.

I have a little 26 HP Yanmar at my house that I use in my garden. I had a 2 bottom breaking plow at the farm that will strain a 50 HP tractor, but I brought it home and use it to break my garden. I have to put the tractor in first gear and poke along, but I still can break the garden in less than an hour with no strain on the tractor. It would be crazy for me to go spend $1000 on a single bottom plow that would fit the tractor but only get used for an hour each year. There is nothing wrong with redneck engineering.

Or you could trade it for a smaller disc. I have an old Atlas 6' disc that I don't need anymore. Send me a pm if you think you might wanna trade.

Good luck!

I appreciate the trade offer but I guess I will just keep it since it's really not mine to be selling or trading since it's my dad's. I'm glad you mentioned removing the 2 rear gangs off of the disc because I was studying on it again the other day and was wondering how well it would work if I did that and I really need to remove them anyway because where they bolt up to the hand crank where you can adjust the angle are really worn pretty bad and have a lot of play in them. Another thing I noticed is that this particular disc looks it's a 2 piece disc because on the frame right in between the front set and rear set of disc is that it appears to only be held together with 2 pretty big bolts and looks like if I took those 2 bolts out the whole back of the disc would just come off and then I could just use the front set.