Originally Posted By: Dkhargroves

Originally Posted By: Idahomike
Originally Posted By: jake44
Pleasure to meet you tonight Mike!! Saw him at a gas station,and went up and spoke, good luck to you and your dog,be safe,and look forward to the stories!!

Same here always like to meet bama sportsmen.
No more than five minutes after we talked I got a speeding ticket,was on my was to track a deer up there in the Prattville area,got caught in a speed trap,dang,costly one to!!!

Whereabouts in Prattville? I'm here, woulda loved to tag along n watch Lucy work

I was tracking in a club by that high fence place,it was called white something.then I went to union Springs and recovered a nice 11 pt.in the poring rain and lightiening storm,Hunter was from Georgia,hunting with guide Kent mclelland.
On my way to track for Kent it was raining so hard I had to slow down to 40 mph with the wipers on high just to stay on the road,had a lightening strike rt in front of my truck,blinded me for a second,met with Kent and his hunter and some other guys there to help, told them with all this rain and the buck ran into a wet/swamp area Lucy wouldn't be able to track it,any scent on the brush would wash off into the water and be gone,if the buck had gone into a area with soil on the ground instead of water there might be a little scent on the ground,all the time were talking it's just pouring and lightening,they said they understood so I was getting ready to leave and Kent says well were awake anyway, it was after midnight,we might as well go out there spread out and wander around we might get Lucky, I said well if you are going to do that I'm going with you to help more bodies the better, I put on my ground length rain slicker put the tracking collar on Lucy and jumped in on of the gators planning for me and Lucy to just grid the area out,we got at the hit sight and rt away Lucy took and interest like she could smell something I couldn't believe it so we just stayed back and let her go to work,she worked the immediate area for about half and hour slowly advancing in the direction they thought the buck had gone,then she stopped and the GPS showed that she had been stationary for a long time so I snuck in there and found her meticulously working one bush! She would work one stem at a time working her nose the length of the stem smelling every leaf,then she would work another one,I figured the buck must have brushed up against it and all the scent hadn't been washed entirely off.finally she moved on sweeping the ground with her nose moving forward only inches at a time,then all of a sudden her intensity and speed picked up and she move out of sight,into a deep ditch full of thick brush and fallen trees,I had to go around it,by the time I circled around she was gone,I looked at the GPS and she was locked down out in the swamp,I eased my way out there and there she was and so was the 11 pt buck!! Talk about a bunch of happy wet hunters!!!
By the time I drove back to the motel,took care of the dogs shed my soaked clothes ,my head hit the pillow at 4:30 am..

Last edited by Idahomike; 01/22/17 08:25 PM.

mike and lucy lopez
let us track your deer 24/7
we track for donations
No mandatory fee.
630-240-6394