Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Load some TSS #9s and your 1100 with the modified barrel will be a killin' medicine. Lots of fellers that shoot TSS 9s are shooting a choke that's too tight IMO. My 20 has a improved modified choke and it's bad medicine with TSS 9s.

2Dogs speaks the truth. It should easily be a 50 yd gun.

I killed a few with a couple of 20 gauge guns, but I got a gun just like yours in 1970 and was the only shotgun I owned for about 15 years. Those lead shells killed a lot of turkeys, but let some get away too. I eventually put a polychoke on it and that improved it a little. If you don't want to get into loading shells, you can certainly kill turkeys with it as is. Just got a little less range than some other guns.

My dad started turkey hunting in the early 60s with an A5 and an IC barrel. Like it would be a little later, it was the only gun he had. He eventually got the money together to buy a FC barrel for it and then used it the rest of his life. Every turkey he ever killed was with that gun.

Just go ahead and buy what gun you want; save money somewhere else. My dad desperately needed an outboard motor back in the 50s, but he had 2 kids and our family was really struggling financially. So he bought a 10 HP Johnson and kept it hidden from my mother by keeping it in a storage room at work. When he went fishing, he'd go by there and get it, then take it back on way home. Somehow, my mother found it and I was nearly part of a broken home. smile

So buy what gun you want and cut back somewhere else. Priorities need to be right. smile

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.