Originally Posted By: WmHunter
Personally I like the 9' by 9' or 10' by 10' spacing.

But here is what I would do: burn as soon after the deer season is over. And then burn again in November. Replant pines in December.

In other words, skip the expensive spraying.
Yes, spraying is best, but personal I would burn twice then plant.

BUT HERE is the main thing: I would make a plan to re-plant pines in such a way as to create a lot of funnels and pinch points and to also create several large open areas that will allow for 3 or so big spring and summer food plots for deer.

Also map out two or three other smaller food plot locations.

Study the aerial and topo maps to do this the most scientific way possible to maximize the place for deer and hunting. Create funnels!!! Let the streams/creeks/drainages be untouched and let those also create funnels.

Also, use a bulldozer after the second burn to secure you permanent open areas. A good operator can do that without taking away all your top soil.

If you don't overpay for the land itself you have a great long term opportunity.

Without any herbicide, your pine plantation is likely going to be full of sweetgum and other hardwood competition. No way to kill it with fire alone. I would not spend the money for trees and labor without herbicide. It would be much more beneficial to skip the burning and chemically treat the site before planting.