Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
I'll post what I did with my kids concerning gun safety for any new dads out there reading.

With all mine they carried a BB gun for one and sometimes two years. It gave me the opportunity to teach them gun safety and gun handling with them actually doing the handling. That way they could practice always keeping the gun in a safe direction and the worst thing that could happen is they could shoot my eye out.Most likely I would get a light sting in case of a bad accident.

After the BB gun we graduated to a single shot shotgun with Squirrels, with me carrying the shells or treating them like Barney Fife with one shell in their pocket.

We also did a bunch of shooting things to drive home how much destruction the gun would cause.

Be safe everyone and have a great new year with the kids and guns.

Good post. I did a lot of the same. First year was a Red Ryder, empty so it didn't make any noise. For my boys, that was at 5. Next year they got a Crickett 22 to carry, unloaded (age 6). They each carried that for 2 years (6 and 7 yrs old), unloaded with a single 22 round in their pocket just like you. At the end of a hunt I'd let them shoot something. We did plenty of practicing with the 22s and still do for precision shooting, practicing breathing, shot placement, etc.

Fourth year (age 8) they graduated to a 243 youth Rem 700. Max range that first year with the 243 is 75 yards with a 3-9 scope. Year 5 I will let them go to 100 or just over. Year 6 they're about 10 years old and I'll let them shoot out to 150 and at that point it's a good time to upgrade the cheap scope that comes on the package rifle. At this point, they still sit on my knee and I help them hold steady when they shoot (shooting house only - no other shots allowed).

By 12 I was still sitting with my oldest and my youngest boy got his 243. If one came close my youngest had first choice. Later in the year at 12, I started letting my oldest sit by himself for maybe 2 hours at a time and I'd be the next field over with a radio. This year, he's 13 and killed 3 this season, his best at 260 yards while sitting by himself. As far as I'm concerned, he's doing great.

When we go to the range, we will spend a good hour or more shooting 22s before we shoot anything else. Single shot crickets are great for this. We have precision contests at 25 and 50 yards and I get into it with them. They love to try to beat their old man at shot placement. It can be really fun too. Once we get to the deer rifles, they've smelled a little burning powder and got in the mindset of slowing down and making shots count. This has worked well for me so far.

Last edited by bamachem; 01/04/17 10:57 AM.

MOLON LABE