Originally Posted By: jmj120
Originally Posted By: Fun4all
A feeder is typically a very small concentrated area, deer get spooked off of it during daylight and they change their behavior to when there is less danger associated with the feeder. Same goes for foodplots Of course a 1/4 acre plot where the deer have been spooked off of it during the daylight hours are going to change behavior too because they will feel more pressure than being on a 10 acre foodplot with the same amount of pressure. So proximity associated with the danger and the time danger is encountered will make the deer change behavior for the local deer, it does not necessarily a deer may get bumped, chased or accidentally come to it at other times.

Horsesheet. Go to most any home on Pike Road, they've got corn feeders in the back yard. Most folks I know down there come and go at all hours of the day and night, and see deer at all hours of the day and night. One of the biggest bucks I saw killed last year was shot off a guys back porch as he was heading to work.

So that brings up a questions in my feeble little mind. How often does he shoot deer off the feeder in his back yard? Was this just an isolated incident because he saw a big buck standing at his feeder that he has never shot a deer from before? Did the deer just mess up and show up 5 minutes to early that day when he thought the danger was not there?
Are those deer used to human presence because they are not threatened 99% of the time? "Horsesheet"? Maybe in that one isolated incident. "Horsesheet" as a general explanation of why deer go nocturnal around feeders, probably not.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope