Originally Posted By: Clem

Atoler and Clark both are right.

You can limit your killin' and have some growth, but you also should let a kid whack a deer now and then to keep them interested. Both of those things work together.

If you're seeing a dozen deer on a plot but you're telling a kid "Sorry, we can't shoot those here now, we're growing deer." then it's not going to work. Waiting to see 25 or 30 before letting a kid pop a doe ... that kid won't be with you by then. He just won't.

Which is where common sense and reasonable ideas have to take hold, instead of mandates and "you need to hunt our way so we can all experience everything better."

There is some truth to your statement Clem, but most of us older hunters grew up in your above scenario and we are still hunting and I never remember hearing anyone complain about seeing too many deer and kids not being able to kill anything. You don't have to let kids shoot everything to stay interested but chances are if your are seeing those ten to twenty deer in a hunt there will not be any problem getting the kid a kill buck or doe. Now due to the lack of regulation regarding doe limits in a lot of places you are lucky to see that ten or twenty deer a whole season which means the kids do not hardly get to see anything and it's hard to justify shooting a doe at that point just to let them kill something. I have purposely keep my club at six points or better to allow for kids and hunters that have not killed a deer to be able to kill something, but the majority of my adult members wouldn't consider shooting a six point. I wish common sense and reasonable ideas would work, but I have seen first hand too many times that is a rarity and not the rule.

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/