First, I like to look at aerial photos and try to find promising areas, but sometimes, hotspots don't have any indications from photos. Funnels are sometimes easy to spot. Also, it gives you a good overall perspective.

There is no substitute for walking and even riding at times. I look for trails/tracks, rubs and/or scrapes, droppings, food sources, lay of the land, and try to keep track of where the thickest parts are in the area.

I'll go to an area I want to check out and start walking, but not fast. I look for well used trails and old rubs. After I find a well used trail, I'll walk it and try and find out why they were using it. Sometimes it will lead you to a bedding area or feeding area or sometimes it just fades away into multiple smaller trails. I don't like to walk through bedding areas, because I won't be hunting in there anyway, but it is good to find an edge. Deer do not always bed in the thickest stuff but a lot of times, that seems to be the case, especially with bucks. One thing is sure, at least in my experience, if you go walking through their bedding areas, they will find new bedding areas fast.

If there are dirt roads or 4 wheeler trails in the area, I will ride them, especially a few days after a rain. Of course, I look for tracks where deer are crossing. The number of tracks will be a good indication of number of deer in the area (I know that sounds like a "Duh" statement, but I've been in areas where deer seldom cross the road).

I am always on the lookout for concentrations of white oaks, especially mature white oaks.

Also, I'll go to a well known food source, like a food plot, and find where the deer are entering and walk the trails back. A lot of times, you can find a good staging area where deer hang out before heading into the fields.

Most of the well used trails are made by the does and young bucks. Often the bucks will have a secondary trail that is often on the predominately down wind side. I think they use these so they can check the does.

Of course, game cameras can tell you for certain what is in the area. I am partial to creek bottoms because deer seem to use them as highways, at times. Always try to set the stand up where the wind is in your favor, but you already know that.

Deer will often take the easiest route that provides the most cover. If you cut a trail through a thicket, it won't be long until they are using it.

I always use rubber boots when scouting, no matter what time of year.

Right after the season finishes is the best time to scout, imho.

Deer movement, is usually based on their stomachs. I've never killed a deer that didn't have a FULL stomach, even during the rut. Deer need food, cover and water. If you find all 3 close together, there will most likely be deer there.

This is longer than I intended, but only scratches the surface.

But hey, I'm an lazy hunter who doesn't know how to scout because I once hunted with a crossbow with a corn pile (that I didn't put there) that was 300 yards away and out of sight.

Last edited by mman; 12/07/16 06:53 AM.