Originally Posted By: ikillbux
I'm gonna ask an elementary question to illustrate the problem with the whole thing...

If you personally owned 100 acres, you lived on it, you hunt there and access it simply through your back yard. If you killed a deer on that property, would you report it?

I feel sure that the counties with the higher numbers have some kind of unique situation causing it, but it's not really indicative of deer densities in said county. If you broke our state down into quarters, the 2nd quarter from the bottom holds the most deer and it ain't even close. The quarter above that would be next, then the northern most quarter, and lastly the southern most quarter (the bottom and top might flip-flop). It really is that simple. Again, there may be a county (or even a pocket within a county) in either of those quarters that is an outlier, but overall that's the breakdown. I'm sorry, but Calhoun and Jackson counties do not have more deer than Russell/Lee/Chambers/Barbour/Dallas/Marengo/etc.

The whole key is "people density" there's a zillion folks that live in and hunt in Walker county. The same can NOT be said for Lowndes county. Just simply isn't the case. You've got larger landowners, less hunters, and more deer. Less deer killed = more deer.