Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum
It's a 1546 rated for 25 hp. I have definitely thought about going to a 25! I know I would be happier with a 25. I'm glad you mentioned the clamps. I might just take that 2x2 off and put it back like it was. It's a great running motor. Just gotta decide if the juice is worth the squeeze. Besides being a little underpowered I don't have any complaints with it.
get you a 25 buddy, that's what I would do. either a 2 stroke 25 yamaha, or a 2 stroke 25 Mercury, 1995-2001 era. Thise are two of the best little motors that have ever been made. I would rather have a 2-stroke over a 4 stroke for the weight difference. A 25 4 stroke yamaha will weigh around 170, where as a 2 stroke will weigh around 115. big difference in the weight on the transom. Less weight on the transom, the less it squats in the back, less it draws water, the faster it is to an extent. Plus the easier to get on and off by yourself. A 2 stroke has better hole shot than a 4, top end is almost the same, the only draw back is that it will use a tad more fuel, but you'll only get around a mile less distance compared to a 4 stroke. And their cheaper, but harder to find.