A little over 2 weeks ago I had 8" of my sigmoid colon (lower intestine) removed due to chronic colitis and diverticulitis. I also had an umbilical hernia repaired. I'm posting this partly to inform those that may consider it of what they can expect and partly to get advice from those that have had it done.

I've had a lot of surgeries before including a total knee back in February so I thought I'd do well but Oh my gawsh ... this one kicked my butt. I still can barely eat, diet is mostly potatos/yogurt/milk. I've lost 18 lbs but seem to have leveled off now that I'm eating a little better. I have 'emergencies' 5 or 6 times a day ... They can be almost comical at times ...

For example, I thought I could go for a few hours without issue and decided to go to a Life Group meeting with folks from my Church the other night. About an hour into it here it comes ... I sat out the next hour trying desperately to hide it, sitting with my cheeks squeezed together. By God's grace alone I made it. As soon as the leader prayed us out I got out and split as fast as I could. I didn't make it home, had to stop at McD's and pollute their stall LOL

Another downside is that I can't get any exercise. Over the last 9 years I haven't missed more than 5 days from the gym but this surgery and the problems that preceeded it have caused me to miss 2 solid months of gym training. This is killing me ... Now bow season is just around the corner and I'm hoping it doesn't spoil my season.

Any of you guys gone through this? What did you eat? How long did it take before you could put weight back on? How long before you could be active again? How long before you stop having 'emergencies'?

I don't want to pass quietly into the night. I want to slide in sideways kickin and screamin
Life really is awesome ... Soak it up while you can ...