Originally Posted By: blumsden
Well crimson, i'm headed to the club this afternoon to spray, and i've decided to try the new method, spray throw and walk away. I'm going to spray today and come back this weekend and throw my seed. I normally would drag the thatch down, but i think it will grow better with the thatch standing, but still shading the soil. It should keep the deer from hammering it too soon as well. We'll see. I've found that after i spray and wait 10-14 days, the grass is already pressed down in a mat. The seed still makes it to the soil, but it makes it hard for the plant to push up thru the mat sometimes.

Cool!...Good luck with it. I've got a powerline I'm going to experiment with. It's grown up pretty thick in vegetation and I think will provide a good canopy. We'll see.....I have a lot of faith in what that book says. The author was basically doing the same exact experiments that we are and everything about the method and thinking have fallen right in line so far. The author is well ahead of us too in experience. He spent a lifetime experimenting and was an agricultural research professor to begin with.

To keep all our experiments on the up and up....I need to report that my early planting of turnips was a flop. I got good germination in the pockets of broadleafs that terminated but between the drought and bugs, most of it bit the dust or just petered out. I went ahead and sprayed the whole field yesterday and plan on planting in another 2-3 weeks. I'm waiting on these 90+ temps to go away first and some moisture ahead of planting. Soil is really dry right now. It's gonna take a good rain to get it back right for planting.

Last edited by CNC; 09/13/16 03:44 AM.

We dont rent pigs