Originally Posted By: Mbrock

Originally Posted By: buckbrush
Maybe I read wrong Jawbone but in your first post you alluded to any LEO being able to enter a property or search a bag without a warrant or consent all the officer would have to say is he was checking for game violations. Which if that's the case I believe you would be wrong. But if not I apologize.

He's not wrong. The open field doctrine allows LEOs to go anywhere upon private property. They have to have a warrant to search any buildings or dwellings on property.

All firearms, bags, coolers, vessels and vehicles used in hunting can be searched for illegal or legally taken game animals. Failure to submit for inspection is a crime.

What he said, but I didn't know there was a separate statute for failure to submit to an inspection until Troy told me so. To be clear though, the search that we are referring to is limited in its scope to looking for taken game and fish.

I'll add one more tidbit. The warrant requirement for searches of buildings and dwellings also includes the curtilage of the building, but what is in the curtilage is often in plain view so no warrant is needed in those instances.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.