Originally Posted By: highcountry
Not intending to hijack the thread, but hear is the update on what I've been dealing with. I finally called a guy that goes to church with me that is a Rheem dealer and wholesaler (actually sells the units to the company that installed my system). He was convinced that the 4 ton should work for my house (though he did say it would be a load on it with these hot days). So he came out to the house Tues. We took temp readings from around the house from the vents and etc. We then went outside and took more readings and then took a water hose and washed out the flutes form the outside unit. We replaced the thermostat again inside and then went upstairs(loft, open to the downstairs) and turned one of the vents to blow down to the L/R. Low and behold, by doing those few things, my house is actually cooling like it should! I set the thermostat on 74 yesterday while we were gone and when we got home from work it was about 75.5 degrees in my L/R. I put the unit on 72 last night before I went to bed and it was 72.5 in my B/R this morning when I got up! I am happy with that b/c I was actually cold last night sleeping (very low humidity in my house). I'm happy that we are finally on the right path, but frustrated at the trouble we had to go through to get there.

That's great news.

Question: Does the unit cycle off at all during the day or does it run continuously to try to make temperature? If it's cycling off, then your thermostat may just be off by a degree or two. If it's not cycling off, then it might be a tad undersized for the peak load. In that case, it could be running a little high on discharge pressure due to the elevated temps outside and it running at it's absolute max capacity. Down side to that can be a shorter compressor life. Keep an eye on it.

However, as long as you're HAPPY, that's what really matters.

MOLON LABE