Originally Posted By: countryjwh
I have youtubed and googled abd every different site i learn something different.

That's the best way to learn. I guarantee you don't know less about bees than I did 4 years ago. I dug in and researched them on a daily basis. There is no telling how much information I have read about bees in the past 4 years. The only problem with Youtube is that only about half of what you see on is correct or works.

Pay attention to the color of the bee suits or jackets that the people in the videos are wearing. Most of them are snow white. New suit, new beekeepers, making videos and telling the world how they keep bees. They don't know squat.

When I started I watched every one of fat bee mans videos. He's pretty good, but a lot of the stuff that he preaches, either isn't good for bees or doesn't work. I don't know if he still does this but he fogged Food Grade mineral oil to "kill" mites. The only problem is that research has proven that doesn't work.

He also feeds essential oils to bees. Research has shown that feeding essential oils and/or Honey Bee Healthy (which is a blend of essential oils) actually harms the microflora in bees intestines. So that's not good.

His info on split making is pretty good.

Then there are people that claim that using small cell foundation will keep bees from having mites. It doesn't work, but that doesn't keep them from preaching it's miracle properties.

Then there's a guy in the Gadsden area that sells hundreds and hundreds of bee packages that told me this week that my bees would do much better if I gave them antibiotics every month. That's complete BS. Antibiotics should NEVER be given as a routine treatment. I have never used antibiotics in any of my beehives and if I had one that needed antibiotics I'd kill them off and replace them with new bees. This guy sells no telling how many quarts of honey a year too. I wonder how his customers would feel if they knew they were eating honey with antibiotics in it?

There's a whole lot of self proclaimed bee experts in this world. I don't claim to be one of them either. I just stumble through the best I can.

IMO the best place to learn about bees is beesource.com

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14