So after months and months of planning, drawings up plans, fretting over every detail, and waffling back and forth about what kind of foundation to put in, post and pier or full basement or crawl space, I finally decided on putting in a stepped foundation that has a small 6'-8" square storm shelter/wine cellar/root cellar in one corner.

I was second guessing myself at the last minute and kicking myself for not going with a full basement, until the two guys that are laying my foundation ran into solid rock just about a foot deep on the southeast corner and the northwest corner. So I couldn't have gone any deeper without some dynamite... grin So the stepped turned out to be the right decision. It looks like the total for the foundation is going to be $3,500 and should be finished this week.

The guys doing my foundation are great guys. They are going to do my framing too and go ahead and get the thing blacked in and then me, Mrs. Irish and Irishguy Jr. are all going to do as much as we can to finish it all up. I may call in some help with it comes to plumbing and electrical.

This is where we were as of Friday afternoon.

Last edited by Irishguy; 04/10/16 04:36 AM.