Those were cool photos. I actually tried to get one worthy of mention this weekend. That pic of the hawk eating the rabbit on the table reminded me of what I saw last weekend.

My youngest son and I were down at camp this past Saturday and when we rounded a corner in the Ranger, we caught movement up ahead in the road. I quickly realized that it was a hawk and had just a minute before had caught a rabbit. He took off with a rabbit in his talons but dropped him in the road about 30 yards in front of us and then flew up in a tree. The rabbit was still alive but clearly badly injured. He was struggling to move and just kept trying to make it back to the cover off the road. I was torn with what to do but ultimately decided to let the circle of life play out. We backed up about 30 yards and I got my phone out hoping to video the hawk catching the rabbit again.

After about 5 minutes it was clear that the hawk was not going to come finish the job as long as we were there so we decided to proceed on down the road. As we slowly road past the rabbit it was clear that it was mortally wounded and death would come very soon. Sure enough, as we eased past him, the hawk left his perch and made a big circle coming back to his prey. I told my son that when we came back out, there would nothing left of Mr. Rabbit. When we rode back by on the way out some 2 hours later, the hawk had obviously gorged himself as there was nothing left but the hide and some meat on one hind leg.

Dr. B

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR