Originally Posted By: QDMAV8R
Originally Posted By: Steve Ditchkoff
You won't get them on camera much. They spend 95% of their time bedded for the first few weeks, and don't move around with mother. Even in October, their visibility on camera is much less than their prevalence in the woods. Take a look at this study that a student of mine did.

Camera Study

Interesting read Dr D. and I would agree that fawns will be bedded up mostly for their first few weeks. I should also include other evidence of fawning in my experimental endevor, such as pics of does that exhibit physical charateristics of post birth. Those might be more prevelent than actual pics, or sightings of fawns. However, based on sales market data and personal observation, camera numbers in the woods are increasing every year. I use a lot of cameras without baiting to monitor throughout a property and I feel cameras along with individual observations could provide a small sample group for my data plotting.

Yes...you can get a smalls sample, and anything that you do to collect data can only help you to be more informed. But, the reason that I posted those data was to let you know about the potential bias...and potential for misleading information in this case.

Good luck with the surveys.

Steve Ditchkoff
School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences
Auburn University